- Payment is required three weeks prior to your visit. This gives us the opportunity to mail your tickets and will make your arrival significantly smoother and hassle-free.
- Your balance can be paid using a check (made payable to The Franklin Institute) or credit card. Purchase Orders can be sent as a form of deposit. Please note that payment will then be due in full upon arrival.
- All payments should be mailed to Attn: Group Sales to ensure your payment is efficiently processed.
- Franklin Institute Memberships are designed for use during family visits and are not valid for group visits.
- Weekday morning groups will be welcomed by our team of Greeters, who can help direct your group.
- Groups that already have wristbands and tickets can enter through the main entrance (unless otherwise specified) and start enjoying your day at the museum.
- Groups that need to pick up tickets, return tickets or add tickets have a few more steps:
• Weekday Morning Arrivals - Group Leader will enter through the business entrance on the ground level with their final group numbers and head to the Group Check-In desk. The rest of the group can walk up the main staircase into Franklin Hall (unless otherwise specified) and await the Group Leader.
• Afternoon and Weekend Arrivals – Group Leader will go to the second floor of the building into the main Atrium and check-in at the desk labeled “Ticketing."
If you need to cancel or reschedule your field trip please call (215) 448-1200 as soon as possible. Please note, if you are increasing your order totals, space may not be available for theater shows/special exhibitions/lunchrooms. Please call us to discuss all itinerary changes, we are happy to help!
New for 2019! We understand that you may have a few people who don’t show up on the day of your trip. Present any unused wristbands, along with tickets when applicable, for your group at the Ticketing Desk upon arrival to receive one complimentary General Admission voucher per returned ticket. Vouchers must be used within one year of issuance and are valid for individual visits only. We will no longer be offering refunds, which is a change from previous policy, so we wanted to let you know as soon as possible so that you could prepare well in advance. If you have any questions, please call us at (215) 448-1200.
One chaperone per 10 youth is required. Groups receive 1 free General Admission chaperone ticket for every ten youth tickets for weekday museum visits. Chaperones pay for all ticketed attractions including special exhibits. Chaperones are considered all adults with the group, including teachers, administrators, nurses and parents. Chaperones in excess of the required ratio will pay the discounted adult rate. Chaperone rates are not available on weekends or holidays. Chaperone rates are applied to groups of 15 or more people. Chaperones must be at least 18 years of age.
Drop-Off, Pick-Up and Parking
- Drop-Off - A ten-minute drop-off and pick-up zone is available in front of The Franklin Institute on 20th Street.
- Pick-Up – Please designate a meet-up place upon arrival so that your group is ready for pick-up at the end of your day. During pick-up, buses should not arrive until your group is ready to depart and should not block the area for other groups waiting to load.
- Parking - There is no on-site bus/van parking. Please let your driver know buses can park at one of the two locations listed below, both of which are within 15 minutes of the museum. Fee applies.
• Campus Park and Ride (215-413-2300), 1600 South Warfield Street, Philadelphia, PA 19145
• Callowhill Bus Center (215-829-3330), located on Callowhill Street between Second and Third Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19123.
Both chaperones and students must wear their wristbands (same for chaperones and students) throughout their visit. Re-entry to the museum is permitted with wristband.
Our goal is to maximize your museum time, so we work hard to make sure you have a quick and efficient lunch, in order to get back to enjoying the exhibits. If your group plans on bringing lunches, you do need to make a reservation in advance. You’ll need to consolidate lunches into boxes or containers (large Tupperware totes are perfect!) and labeled with your group name and lunchroom on the outside. We will store your lunches in your assigned lunchroom while you explore the exhibits. We do not have cold storage available.
There is a one-time $25 fee for groups smaller than 150 to use the lunchroom and a $50 fee for groups larger than 151.
Lunchtime can be chaotic! If you’ve reserved lunchroom space, please note your time and lunchroom and make sure to plan ahead so that it’s a smooth experience for your entire group. Please note that lunch reservations are 25-minutes long so if you need to wash hands, buy any other food items or snacks, or do anything else before you eat, build in a few extra minutes prior to your scheduled time. With so many hungry guests waiting to eat, lunchtimes cannot be extended for groups that arrive late, so plan to arrive on-time (or even a couple minutes early), enjoy your meal, and get right back out to enjoy more exhibits!
IMAX®, Planetarium, Live-Shows and Special Exhibits
- All IMAX®, Planetarium, Live-Science Show and Special Exhibit tickets must be reserved in advance by calling The Franklin Institute (additional fee applies for all shows and programs). There is no late seating in any show.
- All members of your party must be present, with ticket(s) in hand, before a group will be allowed to enter the theater.
- Should you miss your scheduled show time, we cannot refund and/or guarantee that rescheduling will be possible.
During colder seasons, coats can be stored upon arrival and returned before you depart. Students will not have access to their coats during the trip.
Emergencies, Lost Children and Lost and Found
Should you need assistance, please visit the Information Desk in the Atrium on the second floor of the building, the Security desk at the 20th Street entrance on the first floor, or ask any of our Guest Services staff for assistance.
- Guests with limited mobility and wheelchairs can enter at the 20th street business entrance.
- The Franklin Institute is dedicated to providing an experience that is accessible to all visitors. Learn More